“I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food”

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies



This is one of my go to cookie recipes that I acquired I want to say 8 or 9 years ago, but I can't be sure. A friend of my aunts had come to California for skin cancer treatment and we offered her a place to stay for the weekend for her consultation.

During her visit she told us stories of herself as a kid visiting family in Greece, of her two young boys at home, and about her delicious double chocolate chip cookies. Unfortunately, the medical treatment was not helpful and Helen passed away shortly after her visit to California. Every time I make these cookies, I think of her and what she taught me about cooking that day. Here is a recipe for some of the best cookies you'll eat:

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cup flour
1 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teas vanilla
1 12-oz bag of chocolate chunks (if you can find them, but you can use chocolate chips as well)

Directions:

preheat at 350 degrees

In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture until just combined. Add chocolate chunks or chips, and mix until evenly distributed in dough. Plop on greased cookies sheets, (I make them pretty big) and bake for *8 minutes.

*The original recipe says to bake for 9-11 minutes, but I prefer my cookies doughy.

Making these cookies reminds me of home and the comfort of my silver stand mixer and (almost) unlimited supplies. Make and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment