“I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food”

Friday, May 13, 2011

Oatmeal Mania




I've gone a little crazy. For oatmeal. I have made oatmeal for breakfast 5 days in a row, and I made oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal cookies...

So, as most everyone knows, I love cookies. But what most don't know until it comes up, I don't like oatmeal or peanut butter cookies. Now oatmeal, I never really liked that much to begin with, so it was understandable, but now I'm having an oatmeal phase, which I will get to later. Now peanut butter. Peanut butter is a different story. I absolutely cannot live without peanut butter. I have always loved it, ever since I was little and I can kill a whole 16 oz. jar in one sitting (try me, I'll beat you in a contest any time) and I have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with peanut butter, having it around all the time would put me in grave danger of having clogged arteries and lead to a heart attack. But back to the point, I don't like peanut butter cookies, and I didn't like oatmeal cookies until now. I think I have found the one; the recipe that is the perfect recipe for oatmeal cookies. So here it is adapted from Day Dreamers Desserts:

President Clinton’s Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
7 ounces (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 raisins

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour with baking soda and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter until fluffy and light yellow. Add sugar and beat until combined. Add eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until just combined. Then mix in oats and raisins. Roll into log on parchment paper and chill until firm. Cut into 1/2 pieces, or however thick you'd like and bake for 8 minutes, rotate the tray and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from oven and move immediately off of the cookie tray to cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment